May 6, 2011 § Leave a comment
Arcade Fire – Wake Up
Arcade Fire – Haiti
fun. – Take Your Time (Coming Home)
Jimmy Eat World – Coffee And Cigarettes
The Joy Formidable – Cradle
Kanye West – Dark Fantasy
Mumford & Sons – Winter Winds
The National – Slow Show
The Strokes – Under Control
The Tallest Man On Earth – Thrown Right At Me
Whiz Khalifa – Roll Up
Foo Fighters – Hey, Johnny Park!*
Deftones – Hole In The Earth**
The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart – Belong
The Radio Dept. – Heaven’s On Fire
Broken Social Scene – Anthems For A Seventeen Year-Old
Bones Like Snowflakes – The Pleasure Of Leaving***
Bonus Track ****
* – Played as I was exiting the main stage after Broken Social Scene’s set.
** – Saturday night, we hung out in my camp site, this was one of the songs that came on my radio. Everyone loved it, of course, and it was an amazing moment.
*** – Perfect exit.
**** – Ah, see for yourself, you knew that song wouldn’t get away without being here anyway.
March 13, 2011 § 2 Comments
I loved every single bit about this short film. I mean, of course, the first reason to why I agreed working on it was because of Zet. She’s a good friend of mine and I trusted that she had a vision ready, a vision I can work with. Once I saw the film, it wasn’t a complete giveaway, that’s why I loved it more. I’m a sucker for extra-ordinary things, which definitely includes plots that deviate from the standard rise and fall. This short film reminded me of Wong Kar Wai’s Chungking Express a little bit, because of its play with two male characters and their strange natural similarities. And as for Zet, I’ve always loved her colors and cinematography. This film is fond of dramatic shots and sceneries, which I really loved. You see two sides of the world in the eyes of two people.
Album Art by Zet Diaz
Having all this in mind, I challenged myself in writing the score for it. I veered away from my standard half-step down style of writing and went to a more distinct sound. I used the two-guitar American Football/Owen style of playing, even incorporating their odd tuning. The thing I love the most about AF songs is its ability to sound happy even though the lyrics are sad. I’m not a lyricist (at least not in Bones Like Snowflakes), so I had to be expressive for Woke Up New one way or another. The challenge was to confuse an emotionally focused tuning and guitar sound actually make it colorful, and make it all come naturally. I could only hope that it all fell into place, and now that it’s all over, I think it did.
March 5, 2011 § Leave a comment
Haha, so here’s a YouTube playlist I made that consists of the top 10 performances I watched when I was in high school, courtesy of Punk Rock Vids.com. If you’ll notice, they’re mostly network television debuts of the bands, so it was cool how indie artists were actually paid attention at that time. List as follows:
- The Used – Buried Myself Alive
- Brand New – The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows*
- Taking Back Sunday – Cute Without The ‘E’ (Cut From The Team)
- Finch – What It Is To Burn
- Story Of The Year – Until The Day I Die
- My Chemical Romance – I’m Not OK (I Promise)
- Saosin – I Can Tell
- Thursday – Understanding In A Car Crash
- Blink 182 – I Miss You & Rock Show
- Yellowcard – Ocean Avenue
See the playlist here.
*Video could be partially blamed for my decision to opt for a Fender Telecaster instead of any other guitar when I bought it two years ago.
March 4, 2011 § Leave a comment
From The Moon To The Sun
- Jimmy Eat World – Just Watch The Fireworks
- Fuel – Shimmer
- New Radicals – I Hope I Didn’t Just Give Away The Ending
- Brand New – Me Vs. Maradona Vs. Elvis
- Incubus – Earth To Bella Pt. 1
- Don’t Forget, Clementine – …And He Left With Everything He Came For
- Anthony Green – Babygirl
- Smashing Pumpkins – Try, Try, Try (Alt)
- Goo Goo Dolls – Slide
- Arcade Fire – Wake Up
February 25, 2011 § Leave a comment
- The Cure – Mint Car
- Beach Boys – Don’t Worry Baby
- Feist – Limit To Your Love
- Death Cab For Cutie – Talking Bird
- Broken Social Scene – Anthems Of A Seventeen Year-Old
- Bob Dylan – To Ramona
- Vampire Weekend – I Think Ur A Contra
- The Beatles – Dear Prudence
- Smashing Pumpkins – Try, Try, Try
- Brand New – The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot
- Kings Of Convenience – Gold In The Air Of Summer
- Dashboard Confessional – A Guardian Of Sorts (To Catch You)
- American Football – Five Silent Miles
- Circa Survive – Meet Me In Montauk
February 16, 2011 § 2 Comments
This Morning, I Woke Up To The Rain (photo credit)
Weather in California’s been nice, but today I woke up to the sound of rain drops and a gloomy sky. So I took on the wonderful opportunity and made a playlist. These are ten songs that will keep you company for bed weather.
- Dashboard Confessional – This Ruined Puzzle
- Death Cab For Cutie – Transatlanticism
- Brand New – Play Crack The Sky
- Owen – Bad News
- Mew – Comforting Sounds
- Vampire Weekend – I Think Ur A Contra
- The National – England
- John Mayer – Edge Of Desire
- Irving Sappho – The Empty Apartment
- Don’t Forget, Clementine – A Lullaby: From Opinion To Faith
Download the playlist here.